Horror movies might be one thing: you jump when the killer pops out, but by the time the actual death happens, you’re over it. Survival horror video games, however, leave a haunting feeling the entire time the controller is in your hand, and even for a small bit afterwards. I know I personally have thrown the controller towards the TV at whatever was about to attack me on-screen, running at full force from the room. So what games are the best to make the player scream on the top of their lungs like a little girl? Here’s my personal list of the games that’ll make your skin crawl the most:
5) The Evil Within: This is the only new game on my list, and for good reason. New survival horror games kind of suck. This one is finally not a sequel or prequel to a classically good game, and was just released three weeks ago. Available on all systems, there is no reason not to give this one a go. Since most people probably haven’t had a chance to check it out yet I won’t say much, but it’s a bloody good time.
4) Fatal Frame: This game isn’t that well known, but it should be. Ghosts that can only be destroyed, or seen with a camera in a dark haunted house. What could be creepier than that?
3) Clock Tower: This PlayStation 1 game is one that not a lot of people have heard of, which is sad. Any time that a man with a giant pair of scissors is coming after me to cut me into a million pieces randomly, I’m going to be sitting on the edge of my seat ready to run. Very worth checking out if you have access to either a backward compatible PlayStation 2 or 3, or even better a PlayStation 1.
2) Resident Evil: Going a bit old school here, especially considering how many Resident Evil games there are now (although the newer ones really aren’t that great). This is the very first survival horror game I’ve ever played, and even though when I go back to play the tank controls make it a little hard to get the ball back rolling it is completely still terrifying to play. So worth the frustration.
1) Silent Hill 2: This game is the creepiest thing I have ever encountered! Now maybe I’m a chicken, but anything that has monsters who look like that? And the looming fear that there will be one luring around every corner at all times? Yeah. This game is almost like hell on earth, but addicting and great at the same time.
I know most of them are kind of hard to get a hold of, but a good chunk of them have been remade for the next-gen systems and are available for all your terrifying enjoyment. Have fun!
Article by Krista Skweres